Letter from THE PRINCIPAL
Greetings, Parents, Guardians and Families of St. Ambrose Catholic School!
Welcome back to another FANTASTIC school year here at St. Ambrose School! It was a busy summer "sprucing up the place," and the results are amazing! I am so proud to lead such a wonderful school and to be part of such a great work of God! It is such an honor to partner with the "new" Father Steve Janoski, the Deacons, the teaching and support staff and with all of YOU to continue to make St. Ambrose the VERY BEST Catholic school around!
10 Reasons Why St. Ambrose is the BEST CHOICE
- Highly qualified (all certified teachers) and dedicated faculty who are committed to bringing out the best in their students and who are role models who share their faith, their talents and their time. They are dedicated to building supportive relationships with students and celebrating their individuality and uniqueness.
- A culture and environment of respect, responsibility and cultivating good relationships and LIVING VIRTUE that stresses the value of self-discipline and commitment and that encourages each student to accept the challenges of being a better person in tomorrow’s world.
- Challenging and engaging curriculum from pre-school on up that has high rigor and prepares our students to regularly score above national averages on standardized testing. Because of a greater emphasis on homework and study, our students develop more effective writing and communication skills. At least one of our St. Ambrose 8th graders every year scores in the top 10% on the Marquette exam and is a recipient of a scholarship. Many of our former students make up the top 10% in all their classes at AHS.
- Cutting-edge with regards to the use and implementation of varied technologies in our building. Our faculty and staff are expert in integrating technology into their instruction, and we have seen improved student learning in all content areas and in the technology knowledge and skills critical to students’ abilities to contribute and function in today’s information technology society. Teachers empower kids with technology, utilize the many resources available to them online, put kids in touch with the world and delight in the discovery and fun technology holds.
- Fully accredited and in good standing with both the State of Illinois Board of Education and the Diocese of Springfield.
- Student participation, self-discipline, self-motivation, and creativity are nurtured and emphasized in every classroom and with every student.
- St. Ambrose values and relies on family input and involvement in the ongoing education of their children. We strive to create a special bond among the students, the home, the school and the church, so that all share the strong sense of community.
- Students explore their faith through classes and activities in Scripture, Sacraments, Church and morality. God’s presence is welcome and evident in our daily interactions with each other. While not all students who come to St. Ambrose are Catholic, all share experiences of faith and values and learn to be kind, respectful and sincere members of our community.
- All students from preschool through 8th grade get weekly instruction from certified teachers in Fitness, Fine Arts and Technology classes. We offer an extensive extra-curricular program open to all students that includes Healthy Choices Club, Checkers Club, Young Author’s Club, Drama Club, Choir, Student Council, Science Fair, Cooking Club, School Newspaper, Craft Club, Math Club, Read,Right,Run Club, as well as an excellent sports program that starts in our second grade, and includes soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball and track.
- Growth is happening! Each year for the past several years St. Ambrose has witnessed growth in both student numbers and in student success. There is a continued and calculated effort in how we promote and distinguish our school in the Riverbend area, and each year we gain students and families as a result of that outreach. St. Ambrose is always striving to improve the physical buildings, the academic rigor, and how much we serve and “give back” to our community.
I feel truly fortunate to be the instructional leader of such an awesome school community! May our Saints March On with Respect, Responsibility and Good Relationships!
Jean M. Heil, MAEd